Sunday, February 26, 2012

Homemade Vanilla Extract


 Here is my homemade vanilla extract.  This is the first time I have made any, but I can't wait to use it in a recipe.  It is very simple to make, all you have to do is add some vanilla beans into vodka, let it sit for a month, and the strain it through cheese cloth.  It is as simple as that.  This is the real thing, not some imitation.  I will for sure be using this in my zucchini bread this year that I make for market.  I just strained it today and it looks, smells and tastes great!

Homemade Vanilla Extract
4 split vanilla beans, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 pint cognac or vodka

Place vanilla beans and cognac or vodka in a sterilized pint jar. Cap and seal.
Let stand in a cool dark place 1 month.  Shake bottle gently from time to time.
Pour liquid through a cheesecloth into a sterilized pint jar.  Seal tightly, and store in a cool dark place.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Real Veggies Farm Facebook Page

 Real Veggies Farm is now on Facebook! Come check out our new Facebook page!  I will be posting updates on what is going on at Real Veggies ...