Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Recipe - Stuffed Garlic Chicken Breasts (in a cast iron skillet)

Here is a recipe that I just cooked up today, for the first time, and let me tell you it was very very good.  I used a cast iron skillet, but I am sure if you do not have one you could just cook it in a regular pan on the stove, and then transfer the chicken into a casserole, but I would highly recommend using a cast iron skillet.  


Stuffed Garlic Chicken Breasts (in a cast iron skillet)
Ingredients:
4 oz. cream cheese, softened
5 garlic cloves, minced
1 large onion, chopped
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
4 boneless chicken breasts
salt and pepper
3 tablespoons canola oil
1/4 cup salted butter
2 tablespoons white vinegar
2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
1/3 cup parmesan cheese

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Combine the cream cheese, 3/4 the garlic and onion, and the red pepper flakes. 
Cut each chicken breast almost in half, to create a pocket for stuffing.  Stuff each chicken breast with cream cheese mixture, and secure breast closed with toothpicks.  Season each side of chicken with salt and pepper. 
Heat oil over medium heat in a cast iron skillet.  Sear chicken on each side for 3-4 minutes.
Transfer to oven and bake covered for 25 minutes.
Meanwhile melt butter in a small skillet over medium heat.  Add onion and garlic, and cook until almost translucent.  Add vinegar and barbecue sauce, and heat through. 
Remove skillet from oven and pour the sauce over the chicken.  Sprinkle the parmesan cheese over the chicken.
Return the chicken to the oven and bake covered for another 10 to 15 minutes, or until done.


To be served with the chicken I made some rice, but not just plain ordinary white rice.  Instead of adding water to the rice I added a can of my homemade vegetable stock and a can of homemade turkey stock.  I will have to explain in a future post how I make my homemade canned stock.  I use them in everything. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Real Veggies Farm Facebook Page

 Real Veggies Farm is now on Facebook! Come check out our new Facebook page!  I will be posting updates on what is going on at Real Veggies ...