Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Lots of Canning and Freezing

I have been busy lately canning and freezing.  I think I am starting to run out of jars, and I still have to can some pears, collard rolls (just like cabbage rolls but with collards), and have not even canned any tomatoes yet.  I will also have to can some more turkey stock after Thanksgiving.

Last week I canned some beans, made zucchini pickles, summer squash pickles, zucchini relish, and also froze some zucchini pancakes.  Can you guess what I have had a lot of lately?
Beans during the process of being canned.

 Zucchini Relish

Summer Squash Pickles & Canned Beans

Today was more zucchini pickles, froze 7 bags of shredded zucchini for zucchini bread, made two pear pies, made zucchini fries, and prepped some zucchini for bread and butter pickles which will be canned tomorrow (they have to soak overnight in salt).
 Zucchini Pickles

Shredded Zucchini, Some Zucchini Fries (the rest are in the oven), Pear Pies, and the Zucchini Pickles

Tomorrow I will be canning the zucchini bread and butter pickles, freezing beans, freezing peppers, and can some pears.  I am so tired of dealing with zucchini, but my plants are slowing down so I should not have much more zucchini to deal with, it should be time to move on to tomatoes.

This was the first year that I have tried canning zucchini, and I am very happy with how everything has turned out.  The zucchini pickles look just like cucumber pickles, and actually taste very similar to cucumbers too.  I ate my first jar of zucchini pickles in just a couple days, when it does not last long then it has to be good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Real Veggies Farm Facebook Page

 Real Veggies Farm is now on Facebook! Come check out our new Facebook page!  I will be posting updates on what is going on at Real Veggies ...