Saturday, May 30, 2015

Sticky Traps

I use the traps to catch flea beetles, but have seen some other bugs on them before.  Mostly just fruit flies though, that I can remember.

What you will need:
~ Tree Tanglefoot
~ Florescent yellow paper
~ Sticks or bamboo (I usually use bamboo but just regular sticks are fine too)
~ Popsicle stick (to spread the tanglefoot)

Sticky traps are very easy to make, I just hate doing it because I do not like the sticky tanglefoot.  It is kind of like sap but it does not dry up, luckily it will wash off your hands with soap and water.  It is surprising that it does not dry up.  I have had this same container of tanglefoot for at least 6 years now, with a crack in it so it does not seal up well, and yet it has not dried up.

Now, on to how to make the trap.  I suggest to use the florescent yellow paper, I have tried orange before but it did not seem to work as well as the yellow.  I buy 8 1/2 x 11 paper and tear it in half.  All you have to do is take your piece of florescent yellow paper and put it on the stick or bamboo.



Then with the popsicle stick spread the tanglefoot on to both sides of the paper.  I try to spread it as thin as I can so the color shows through.

Finished product, all you have to do is stick it in the ground.  I usually put these traps under my row covers or in a high tunnel, and throw a few outside also.  They may not get rid of 100% of the flea beetles but do work pretty well.  Lets just say that I put my first sticky trap in the ground and by the time I got done making five more I looked at that first trap and there were already at least 4 flea beetles on it.  Any less flea beetles out there to eat my veggies is fine with me.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Real Veggies Farm Facebook Page

 Real Veggies Farm is now on Facebook! Come check out our new Facebook page!  I will be posting updates on what is going on at Real Veggies ...